Monday, December 26

Homemade knick knacks

I've been saving this post for a while, as I didn't want to reveal any Christmas gifts before December 25!  My internet time wasting activity has shifted from Facebook to the website Pinterest.  It is basically an online pinboard where anyone can post decorating ideas, DIY, random funny pictures or sayings, wedding ideas, etc.  I mostly use it for decor ideas and DIY.  I took 5 DIY and ran with them.  Here is how they turned out.

What pinterest suggested
My creation



Using maps to show were significant moments in your life occurred.  For my sister, I chose where she met the love of her life, where he proposed, and where we celebrated their wedding. 







Pinned Image
What pinterest suggested
My creation



I really liked this cute wreath that can be displayed year round.  For my sister, I tried to use the colours most often seen throughout her house so she would have more options of where to display it. 






Pinned Image
What pinterest suggested
My creation


How charming is taking a plain lampshade and turning it into a delightful accessory with character, that is genuinely symbolic of you?  I chose to use the song lyrics of Blake Shelton's - 'Honey Bee' and put it on my bedside table. 








What pinterest suggested
My creation
Transferring a picture printed off from your home computer onto a canvas was the DIY project I put off the longest.  I was warned it was much more difficult than it looked.  Finally, I gave it a shot.  They didn't turn out as well as I had hoped BUT lots of comments said that the imperfections gave them more character.  We shall see if Vanessa likes them or if I should try again!  I would recommend painting the canvas a colour other than white- so you can tell what is paper that you are rubbing off in comparison to when you have taken off the picture and are now rubbing at the canvas.  I might also stick to black and white photos.  That said, they aren't that bad!! :)



Original welcome mat
My creation
Last but not least, Vanessa's wish list included a welcome mat from Urban Barn that read 'Be Nice or Leave'.  The mat sells for $20, which was almost half of our secret santa budget. I wanted to try and make my own instead (for less).  Well that was a thrift fail.  The mat I got (which was actually pretty nice!) only cost $9, but I ended up needing way more paint than I anticipated.  The blog I got the idea from covered a red mat and mentioned that the painting over was a sinch.  LIAR.  It took me 3 cans of spray paint.  Next time, I will gift the $9 bargain.  As it turns out, Vanessa loves it!  HOORAY















No comments:

Lauren Kent

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...